Mexico NAFTA Work Visas
Mexico NAFTA Work Visas, under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) some American and Canadian citizens may obtain a work Permit to work in Mexico.
There are several categories under NAFTA Work Visas to immigrate to Canada:
- Intra-Company Transferees
- Business Visitors
Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), some American and Canadian citizens who are qualified Professionals may be able to enter Mexico to exercise their professional activities in Mexico for an employer located in Mexico. The main advantage of this type of Work Visa category is that it does not require prior job-validation for a position in Mexico to be filled by American or Canadian NAFTA Professional.
Here is a list of Professions under NAFTA:
General NAFTA Professionals
- Computer Systems Analyst
- Disaster Relief Insurance Claims Adjuster (claims Adjuster employed by an insurance company located in the territory of a Party, or an independent claims adjuster)
- Graphic Designer
- Hotel Manager
- Industrial Designer
- Interior Designer
- Land Surveyor
- Landscape Architect
- Lawyer (including Notary in the Province of Quebec)
- Management Consultant
- Mathematician (including Statistician)
- Range Manager/Range Conservationalist
- Research Assistant (working in a post-secondary educational institution)
- Scientific Technician/Technologist
- Social Worker
- Sylviculturist (including Forestry Specialist)
- Technical Publications Writer
- Urban Planner (including Geographer)
- Vocational Counsellor
Medical/Allied NAFTA Professional
- Medical Laboratory Technologist (Canada)/Medical Technologist (Mexico and the United States)6
- Occupational Therapist
- Physician (teaching or research only)
- Physiotherapist/Physical Therapist
- Recreational Therapist
- Registered Nurse
Scientist NAFTA Professionals
- Agriculturist (including Agronomist)
- Animal Breeder
- Animal Scientist
- Dairy Scientist
- Geophysicist (including Oceanographer in Mexico and the United States)
- Physicist (including Oceanographer in Canada)
- Plant Breeder
- Poultry Scientist
- Soil Scientist
Teachers NAFTA Professionals
Intra-company Transferees to Mexico under NAFTA are prescribed types of business persons, citizens of Canada or USA, and who are being transferred to a related business or organisation (parent branch, subsidiary or affiliated branch) located in Mexico.
Types of Intra-company Transferees to Mexico under NAFTA:
- Specialized Knowledge Staff
American or Canadian traders may be eligible to enter in Mexico to conduct substantial trade in goods or services, provided that such trade is primarily between the NAFTA member countries, and provided that Traders have either US or Canadian business.
This category is also applicable to business persons who have the intention to establish, develop, administer or provide consulting services or technical services for management of investment that attracted foreign capital or is in the process of attracting it.
Employees of traders may also qualify under this category, provided that they have supervisory or executive duties, or have skills that are fundamental to the operation of the business in Mexico.
American and Canadian investors may be eligible to immigrate to Mexico to develop and direct a bona-fide business in which they have made significant investment of capital, and thus own at least 50 % of such business, or maintain a controlling interest in such business, and provided that Investors have either US or Canadian business.
This category is also applicable to businesspersons who have the intention to establish, develop, administer or provide consulting services or technical services for management of investment that attracted foreign capital or is in the process of attracting it.
Employees of investors may also qualify under this category, provided that they have supervisory or executive duties, or have skills that are fundamental to the operation of the business in Mexico.
American and Canadian citizens may be able to temporarily come in Mexico as Business Visitors to do the following work:
- Research and Design
- Growth, Manufacture and Production
- General Service
- After-Sales Service